With the help of the Folder-Properties-Matrix matrix you can quickly and easily edit the "Description" on the "General" tab and default categories for documents on the "Folder Content-General" tab of many directories or the entire directory structure of your project. Afterwards, you can import the folder properties matrix to the Project Space.
|Note: All previous folder settings are overwritten after the import.|
- First export the report "Folder-Properties-Matrix". Refer to Export and import Reports and Matrices to learn how to export the report.
- Download the report and open it with Excel.
- For a better overview and easy handling of the matrix use our Excel macro. Refer to Excel macros to learn about how to run a macro in Excel. Alternatively adjust the view as shown in the screenshot.
- Now you can edit the Folder-Properties-Matrix.
- In the column E (only in the example) "Description", you can edit the description of a folder which is located in folder properties on the "General" tab.
- In the column F "Inherit category values" you determine whether the category values selected in the next columns will be automatically assigned to documents created in the folder. This function is activated with a small "x".
- In the next columns of row 1 are all categories listed. For more information about categories and their values refer to Create and edit Categories.
- The folder structure is shown in the columns A to D (only in the example).
- To set default category values for a folder you have to enter the category value in the corresponding cell of the matrix. If you like to assign several category values of a category, you must separate them with the symbol "|".
- In the example the category values "Client" and "Project Manager" of the category "Creator" and the value "Correspondence" of the category "Type of document" were assigned as default categories for the folder 20 Client. This values are from now on automatically assigned to each document which is upload into this folder.
Attention: Note that the values you enter in the matrix 100% match the spelling of the value in the Project Space. We recommend copying the values from the Categories in the Project Space. Alternatively you can use the report "Categories" which lists you all categories with their values in an Excel list.
- Make the changes and save the matrix with "Save as".
- In the drop-down menu "Save as type" select the file format "CSV (comma separated) (*.csv)"
- Now click on "Save" and confirm the next prompt with "Yes".
- If you close the file now Excel asks you if you want to save the file. As you did this before click on "No".
- In the last step import the Folder-Properties-Matrix. Refer to Export and import Reports and Matrices to learn how to import the matrix.
|Note: The number and names of folders and categories and their values in the Project Space need to match the matrix when you import it. If the folders or categories has been changed in the Project Space (e.g. you added, deleted or renamed a folder or category), while you are editing the matrix, the changes must be adopted in the matrix as well. If this is not the case, the import will fail. If extensive changes has been done we recommend to export the matrix after the changes again and then edit the matrix which now contains the current folders and categories.|