As some project participant like a gauger or consultants for small crafts only work for a short time or during certain project phases in a project they are often not integrated to conjectPM and thus have no access to the Project Space. Nevertheless it is important that also the communication with such Externals is documented and can be tracked. With this article we like to show you how to communicate optimally with externals.
Send Messages to Externals
You can any time send messages to external contacts who do not participate in the Project Space and deliver documents and drawings from the Project Space or from your computer. Of course you can also add external recipients when you reply to or forward a message or activity. External recipients can reply to your message and thus create a new contribution in an activity. This helps you to stay on top of the things and you can e.g. include an external (e.g. a consultant) in an approval process.
- Start a new message or reply or forward a message / activity.
- In addition to groups and project participants, you can also enter as many e-mail addresses in the "To" or "Cc" field as you wish. Then press enter or click outside the recipient fields.
- The e-mail address is now shown on grey background with the icon for removal.
- Separate multiple external recipients with a Semicolon and press enter click outside the recipient fields.
- Fill out all remaining fields you need and send your message.
|Note: You can set up external recipients as External Contacts of the Project Space which you can then select as normal recipients like project participants from the "To" or "Cc" field. Go ahead here to learn how to Manage external contacts.|
There is no limitation of the file size or of the amount for attachments which you send out to external recipients. If the attachments are bigger than 5 MB in total conjectPM sends out download links to ensure that even big attachments can be received. Up to 5 MB attachments are send as "real" file attachments.
Alternatively you can communicate with external recipients using your e-mail program (e.g. Outlook or Lotus Notes) and then document all project relevant and important e-mails into conjectPM But we recommend to send messages to external recipients via conjectPM as you start an activity this way and all further replies will be added as a contribution to the activity. When an external replies to your message then you can send all further messages using your e-mail software - as an ID in the subject line ensures that replies are assigned to your activity. For more information have a look at the E-Mail Integration under reply to messages. Therefore always start a communication with an external inside conjectPM and then use your e-mail client for all further messages.
How Externals can reply or send new Messages
- When you send a message to an external recipient they can directly reply to it using their e-mail software / client (e.g. Outlook or Lotus Notes). An ID in the subject line routes the reply directly into conjectPM and creates a new contribution in your activity. For more information have a look at the E-Mail Integration.
- Externals can also send new messages (without getting a message from conjectPM first) to groups of the project. You just need to give the e-mail address of your group to an external. For more information have a look at the E-Mail Integration.
Receive Messages from Externals and file attachments
- If you receive an E-Mail from outside the Project Space a new message is created in the Communication application of the Project Space. The paper clip indicates that a file is attached to the message.
- Messages which were send from outside the by an external show the E-Mail in the column Sender.
- If you open a message from an external this is indicated with the icon behind the sender name.
- If the icon is shown behind a recipient then it indicates that this recipient will receive the message as an e-mail outside the Project Space.
Files which you send via E-Mail into the Project Space will be stored there only as an attachment of the message at first. But you can file the attachments to the folder structure of the Documents Management or to the Drawing Management:
- Click on the folder icon behind the attachment to file a single attachment to the folder structure or to the Drawing Management application.
- Using the link you can file all attachment in one step.
- In the next Window choose whether you wish to file the attachments as Documents to the folder structure or as Drawings to the Drawings Application.
- If you selected all attachments to file then you can remove single files with . This way you can e.g. separate the documents from the drawings.
- For Documents specify the "Name" for the document(s) according to the Naming Convention of the project.
- Select a target folder in the "Folder tree".
- If necessary assign mandatory categories and add a description.
- For Drawings specify the Drawing name according to the Drawing Key of the project.
- Finally click on "OK" to file the attachment(s).