|Important notice before you change permissions: The permissions on documents are assigned by default permissions of the corresponding folder where a document is uploaded. These default permissions on documents and folders have been coordinated among each other and have been defined by the project administration at the beginning of the project. This means that if you are able to see and access a folder then you can normally access the documents in this folder too. But this means the other way around, if you give permissions to a group which had no permissions before (e.g. by sending the document via a message), then the group normally has no access on the folder. Thus this group can access the document only via the search or views but not via the folder structure.|
If you like to edit the permissions of a document, the complete path of the folder where the file is stored needs to be edited in order to give the new group access to it. Therefore please choose one of the 2 option which fits your requirements:
- If the new group needs to have access on all existing and future documents in this folder, then ask the administrator to give access to the group on the complete folder path.
- If the new groups needs only access on one or some documents in this folder, then we recommend to send the documents to the group with a message. The group can then always access the documents via the message or find it using the search or views.
|Note: Permissions are hierarchical. Therefore every project participant can only assign the permission he has or any lower one to other participants. But it is not possible to assign higher permission than the one you have. Reducing or removing permissions is only possible with the full access permissions and should be used by administrators only.|
We recommend to assign permissions only to groups. Thus you assign permissions on a company and not on an individual level.
- Go to the "Documents" application.
- Browse to the target folder in the folder tree to the left, where the document is stored and click on it.
- Mark the document.
- Click on "Edit" and select the option "Add permissions ". Alternatively click on "Properties" and go to the "Security" tab.
- Mark the required group(s) in the group list on the right side. Use the search to find the groups.
- Click on "Add All Selected".
- Alternatively add groups individually using the plus .
- Define of the three hierarchical permissions on the document for the selected groups:
Read: You can view the properties, use the viewer to open the document and download it.
Write: In addition to Read, you can upload versions, copy the document and change notifications settings.Full access: In addition to Write, you can edit all metadata of a document, move it and, if necessary, unblock it.
- If you are not an administrator we recommend not to remove or reduce permissions, as these were defined by the administration or project management. In order to revoke the access of a group, mark it at the left, and click on "Remove All Selected".
- Alternatively remove groups individually using the .
- Apply with changes with "Save".